How to Help a Lost Pet or Person Find Their Way Home - Make Your Own Automatic Pet Caller or Audible Homing
· An audible homing beacon can help a lost pet find their way home.
· Consider this concept for lost children or wandering patients, too.
· You can make your own automatic pet caller.
For our audible homing beacon, I used Audacity, a free open-source sound editor.
To make your own audible homing beacon:
1. Download the Audacity software for your computer.
2. Use the Audacity help screens for set up.
3. Record as many familiar sounds and voices as you can think of. Some examples are pet owner voices, favorite toy sounds, sound of food can opening, rustle of kitty treat bag, and the like. Record the sounds in the house, barn, or favorite location. Many sounds you might not even be aware of, but the pet can hear them.
4. Review and edit, if you want. Just remove any sounds that might scare the pet away. It does not have to be perfect.
5. From the help screens, set up for loop-playback.
6. We set the whole laptop outside, covered from the weather. You could probably keep the computer inside and place the speakers outside. Point the speakers in different directions.
7. Set the volume so the neighbors do not complain.
8. Just let it playback repeatedly until the pet or person comes home. Do not give up on manually looking for the pet or person, however. This homing beacon is just another tool to find a lost pet or person.
If you do not have a computer, you could use a digital recorder, analog tape recorder, or maybe even a cell phone.
For more information:
- Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/