Low Cost Water Collection Using Dew/Fog Collectors or Solar Stills
New Hope for Drought Stricken or Arid Areas of the World
Water is a problem and a blessing common to the whole world. It is great when we have just enough. Sometimes, due to various reasons, there just is not enough water though. Then, people begin to panic.
Some little known techniques might be helpful for those experiencing a drought or live in a chronically dry, arid area.
One of these is Fog or Dew Collection where a large, mostly vertical, piece of fabric, plastic, etc. collects fog or dew. Collected moisture then flows down to a collecting area. This is sometimes called a "fog fence" or "dew collector". This water is fresh water, though you might still have to treat it to become drinkable.
Another technique is using a Solar Still where the sun's heat is used to evaporate moisture from moist soil or air.
Both of these techniques can be made with very low cost using available materials. The information at the end of this article should provide a good basis for further research, discussion, and implementation.
- To find more information on Fog or Dew Collection, use this Internet search string - (fog OR dew) (collector OR collection OR harvester OR harvesting).
- To find more information on Solar Stills, use this Internet search string - (solar OR sun) (still OR stills OR distill).
- For each of the above search strings add your own additional terms such as plans, resources, organizations, and the like.
As our climate changes, water-rich countries might have to adopt some of these techniques. We might as well start discussing, brainstorming, and using these concepts now. Other parts of the world can lead the way too. There might be great opportunity for innovation, new product development, etc. on a global basis.
- You can still obtain water where there is no apparent water source.
- Fog/Dew Collection and Solar Stills have been used for years. You can build on the work of others.
- You can make your own water collectors and teach others how to do so.
For more information:
- Fog or Dew Collection also Fog Fence
- Dew Harvest: To Supplement Drinking Water Sources in Arid Coastal Belt of Kutch by Girja Sharan, Foundation Books, 2006
- Solar Still
- Solar still construction by Maria Telkes, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1959
- Design Notes for Low Cost Dew Collectors or Solar Stills for Water
Disclaimer - Article is for informational purposes only.