Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Possible New Idea for RFID Mobile Phone Reminder



USB Drive Reminders - Possible New Idea for RFID Mobile Phone Reminder




Have you ever forgotten your USB or flash drive in a public computer, upon leaving? I almost did several times, so I decided to invent a USB reminder for myself. 

Essentially, I drilled a small hole in my glass case and attached a short cord to the case. I then tied the other end of the cord to my flash drive. Voila! It works great for me, since I have to change to my computer glasses for my writing. As I leave the workstation, I quickly realize I have to change back to my regular glasses. This reminds me to unplug my flash drive when I leave. 

I then wondered if others had the same experience. I found out it was a quite common accident and saw how others dealt with it. Here are the Internet Search Strings I used -
  • (usb or flash) reminder
  • (usb-reminder) OR (flash-reminder) (drive OR memory)
The results I found were most interesting to me, especially showing how inventive people all over the world are. Here are some of the solutions I found:
  1. Evidently, the most common solution is a software download for the computer or an app for a cell phone.
  2. Some people attach their drive to their car keys, bracelet, etc.
  3. There's at least one patent on a reminder - "USB port connectible device reminder" U.S. Patent 7741974
I was surprised I did not see a pen drive with an RF ID tag. I am imagining a cell phone could alert if the user walked away from the flash drive location. The RF ID tag could be a stick-on to an existing USB drive. 

This RF ID to phone concept could be used with anything you do not want to leave behind, e.g. credit cards, baby in car, etc. 

For more information -
Disclaimer - Article is for information only and is not advice of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment